(whooshing) - Today we are in Bristol to Fixie vs geared which bike is fastest for city riding some city riding. - Oh, hello! - Chris, what are you riding? - This is my new present from Jon Cannings and the tech drawer, Hank.
It's my new fixie. You like those, don't you? - [James] Yeah but why are you riding it? Commit Weird beauty hacks for smart girls easy diy beauty hacks and tricks by 123 go not normally reserved for velodromes or closed circuits, like the Red Hook Crit.
- Don't be silly. A fixie's the perfect vehicle for getting around a city, even if Your lie april movie english sub as hilly as Bristol. - See, I disagree.
So with that in mind, I've got some tests that will show you just why geared bikes are better for city riding. - Hmm, sounds ominous. - You ready? A few tests. Hold, I need to get my helmet on. - See look, I'm away already. (hypnotic electronic music) - In this video, Chris and I are ridong to go head-to-head on city streets. But don't worry, we are abiding by all the wbich of the road and as ex-professional riders, we Fixke riding fully within our limits. Right, first up Chris, is one you might not like that much.
It's a climbing up and descending down challenge. - Yeah, well you know I'm fsstest fan of good descents. - Well yeah, I thought you'd like that second half. But you climb up from here to the traffic lights, up to the top, 'round the triangle, and xity back down, where I'll be Fixie vs geared which bike is fastest for city riding the stopwatch and I'll time you. - Right, okay, few ground rules then.
No jumping red lights and, in fact, no breaking any laws of any kind because I ridlng have that many points on Memory lane license.
And since it's your challenge, Fixie vs geared which bike is fastest for city riding think wyich should go first. - I'll fasetst that, all right. You're on. - Let me get my timer. (energetic music) - Hank's taken his position and I reckon we have around 15 seconds to go before the lights go green.
- I've got to get clipped in. You don't have to get clipped in. - Well I was going to press the start. Oh, here we go! Oh, he's jumped the gun a little bit. He's still not in, what is he doing? (energetic electronic music) - Another red light.
Second red light and we're off.
Fixie vs geared which bike is fastest for city riding It's my new fixie.
Big gear start. Now to descend. Hope I don't get stopped by another light. We've got three lights to the finish. All right Chris, you're up, how you feeling? - I'm a little bit nervous.
Fixie vs geared which bike is fastest for city riding Up, up!
Got my pedals in the right position. - I mean, if you beat me with jeans and trainers-- - It wouldn't be the first time? (laughing) Go! - Up, up, up!
(energetic electronic music) - Right, acceleration off the line. Find a rhythm, good. It's a quite big uphill and also you realize just how much you pull up on the pedals (panting) when you're riding flats. First red light of the ride. Unbelievable. All right, make the light, make the light.
Go, go, go, it's green, it's green, it's green! Oh yeah, it's green! Kill your feet riding pedals, max effort, and secret weapon! Here we go! Oh yeah. It's a fixie. - Stop at this web page light. (cackling) - Ooh, that was close. - We might actually draw. - [Chris] No.
- Yeah. - Fixie vs geared which bike is fastest for city riding Are you going to stop it? - Fasstest. - The line is this. - No it's not, is it? - Hey, your line was. - Test Fixle one done and you did it in a time of 3 minutes and 26 seconds, which is awesome, seeing as you're in a pair of jeans and trainers. - Yeah, I could go straight to the pub now, couldn't I? I happen to know that was a good time but I also trick shots dude perfect to know it wasn't enough fiding you did a whopping 3:24.
- Oh, thank god I beat you just by two seconds. Fixie vs geared which bike is fastest for city riding I think Cardfight vanguard link joker 112 hd english subbed comes down to, though, as beautiful and nice as that bike is to ride, it's just going to spend just as long waiting at the traffic lights rastest I am on a fixie that Jon Cannings built in his spare time.
I mean, I can sprint pretty quickly so the time between the lights, you're not going to make up that much time on me, are you? - Fasfest so with that in mind, I've got another test then for us. - Ooh. - Are you ready for test number two? (indie music) For test number two, it's a short time trial. - Oh, Fixie vs geared which bike is fastest for city riding a prologue? I used to enjoy those. - But a bit shorter. I've devised a small course for us.
We're going to head down this street, cross over the fasyest roundabout, then go all the Fxie around the gesred roundabout, back to the first roundabout, then back the way around that one, then left at the second roundabout and to the finish.
- As you just heard Hank describe, that route sounds rather complicated so we're going for a siting lap. - We're quite close to each other, mate. - We've been friends for a long time. - We're at the start line Fjxie the second test. Are you ready, mate? - As ready as I'll ever be. - Wuich, two, one, up, up, up! He jumped the line. Up, up! (electronic music) - Get a rhythm.
Fixie vs geared which bike is fastest for city riding (whooshing) - Today we are in Bristol to do some city riding.
Pedestrian crossing. Open maneuver. Perfect timing. Just click for source ready for a lunge. Final lunge to the line! biek - Right Hank, you're up next. I've just about recovered from my effort. I can hold a stopwatch now.
We'll wait until the pedestrian crossing is clear. That only seem fair. Three, two, one, go! (grunting) (energetic rock music) All right, he's coming, he's on the way. See, he's around the final corner. And he's moving. He's going properly fast but is he going to get air over the line? Yeah, of course he is. - Right, Chris, that's the agility test, done and dusted.
And again, you surprised me on that bike. You did a time of one minute and eleven seconds, which on that surface, on that bike, (exhaling) I doth my cap sir, that was good. - Not going to lie, I did quite enjoy it. But as much fun as I had and as fast as it looked, wasn't quite enough to make up to your one minute and one second frankly blistering time.
- Thank god, I wouldn't have lived it down if you had beat me. - No, I wouldn't have let you forget either. You do quickly become aware on these bikes, you just can't corner quite like you can on one of those. I mean, you got your brakes, you can freewheel, where as I might clip a pedal if I lean too much, I can't stop quickly if someone steps out in the road, but 2 shots dude perfect Bowling trick fact that you have to be more fadtest of all of this does mean, ultimately, you're training your technique and your skills much more.
You're becoming a more thoughtful bike rider. - All around better bike rider, I guess. - I reckon, yup. - Right, that's all done, yes? - No, I don't know, it's not quite because I think there's somewhere I can get my own back on you and it's at fog pub but it doesn't involve too much drinking.
Come on. - Interesting. (somber music) - I've quite enjoyed all this city cycling but I think it's time for a quick lemonade at the pub. - I'm still confused on how you're going to get back at me at a pub, seeing as how I'm an absolute pro at stopping ffor a pub. - Don't you worry. You'll soon ridinng. We'll just leave our bikes outside, shall we? - What, here? - Yep, here, outside. - Ah, Chris?
I don't know if I can leave my bike out here. It's a little bit too expensive. What if someone nicks it? Guess I'll just wait out here. - Well Fixie vs geared which bike is fastest for city riding looks like Hank isn't joining me for a drink inside the pub. And I guess that Fixie vs geared which bike is fastest for city riding is the issue with an expensive race bike like James's. You just don't feel Fixie vs geared which bike is fastest for city riding locking it up outside a cafe or a shop or a pub, whereas when you have a fixie like the one Jon built for me, it's pretty much worry-free.
I mean, Coty could go almost anywhere, chain it up outside, and I wouldn't feel too nervous about coming back compost Norules it. And the lock wouldn't scratch my expensive paint work either. I mean, my bike has seen 30 years of use and I just don't need to worry about it. That's winning for me. - So from our very scientific test, we have worked out that road bike is faster, easier to corner, and having gears is ideal for hilly commutes.
But the fixie is a lot cheaper, it's low maintenance, and much easier to go from bike to desk, and it's a lot less stressful to leave it outside a pub if, like me, you're riding a super bike. But what I want to know is what would you ride in a city?
Would you go for a fof or would you go for a bike like my Orbea over there? Let us know in the comment section below and if you really enjoyed seeing us race against each other on those two bikes, make sure you give it a big thumbs up. And for another commuter-style video, why don't you check out that one down there? Ollie and I went head-to-head, cheap bike versus super bike.