(upbeat electronic music) - If you're wanting to get into cycling, then you may be wondering what kind of bike you should get and what is gonna best suit your needs. In particular, a drop bar bike like I'm riding or a flat bar bike like James has got there. - So in this video, we are gonna go through the differences between the two, and we're also gonna go through some experiments so you can make an informed decision about which one to get.
- Yeah, so to do this we've got two bikes from our partner Orbea. They're both nice Vector models. And the first thing we're gonna highlight is the difference in position between a drop bar bike and a flat bar bike.
So to do this, we're gonna do some extremely high-tech special effects to show you the difference in position. As you can see easw flat bar bike puts you in a more upright position.
And this can be more comfortable for beginners, because it requires less flexibility. It can also be more conducive to riding with a backpack. The drop bar bike allows you to get longer and lower at the front, and this is more aerodynamic, meaning that you should be able to go faster for the same amount of effort.
It does require more flexibility though, but it also helps lower your center of gravity to help cornering. - Right, so we're gonna do it, mate. (upbeat electronic music) - Bikees drop bar offers three different hand positions.
The hoods, the drops, and the tops. - So most riders spend most of cmofort time on the hoods, but the drops are used for Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease more low and more aerodynamic. And it's also good for sprinting and descending Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease your hands feel more secure days Kagerou tend not to bounce out. Whereas the tops, I use as a kind of change of hand position as it can be more comfortable and more upright.
- To assess the relative merits of the two bar types, Msx zemmix neo testing msx1 105 colors and stuff devised some incredibly high-tech and sophisticated experiments. - We have. - Right, experiment one. (mellow beats electronic music) So for this experiment we're going to try and asses the difference in aerodynamics, and therefore speed, you can travel for the same effort on Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease two different handlebar types.
To do this, we're gonna ride down this two kilometer section of road as fast as we can on both bikes and then we'll see which one we did it in the quickest timing.
So. - Sounds like a good experiment, mate. I reckon let's do it. - Spedd do it. read article make whooshing sound) - Here we go. - Three, two, one. Go! - (grunts) Yeah! (upbeat rock music) - 2K's a lot longer than I thought! Already I can feel. Much wider, much less aero! All I wanna do is get low! - Three. Two. One. (upbeat rock music) Yeah, it was fine, yeah. (both laughing) How about you?
- I mean all efforts are hard, aren't they? - Yeah. - But what did you find the position? How did you find the bike? - Yeah, I dorp this has got a four centimeter bar on it. And I can get nice and aero and narrow.
Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease (upbeat electronic music) - If you're wanting to get into cycling, then you may be wondering what kind of bike you should get and what is gonna best suit your needs.
- I struggled, I. My body was just telling me just to try and get lower. Going quick didn't feel nice to be quite honest. Let me try that bike and-- - Yeah, let's swap. - See Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease we Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease on. - Let's swap. - Go! (bike whooshing) (upbeat rock music) - Straightaway, feels more comfortable at high speeds.
Can get in this low, narrow, aerodynamic position. (upbeat rock music) (grunts) - Oh, God! Yeah I bra the results here on my phone. Bra I did the drop bar bike in two minutes, 49 seconds, an average speed of 43 kilometers an hour. - That's not bad. - Your drop bar run. - Ah, you've beaten me. (laughs) - You did it in 2:41 with an average 45 kilometers an hour. - Alright mate, that's good. - And then on the flat bar bike, I did that in three minutes, 10.
So about 20 seconds slower almost. - Yeah. - And that was an average comflrt 37 kilometers an hour. You did here in comfogt, which was an average of 39 kilometers an hour.
So you've beaten me again, quite like 6 seconds. - Okay.
- But click the following article 'cause I held you up at the-- - I think, yeah, I think that starting-- - Yeah, that's why. That's definitely why. - But as you can see from the results, that the drop bar was definitely fastest for both of us. Source that's to be expected as the drop bar allows the user to be in a much more lower and more aerodynamic position.
But going fast might not be the priority for you, but if it is, then drop bar's the winner. - The drop bar's the winner. (mellow beats electronic music) The drop bar bike's great, because the three different hand positions are for really awesome versatility. So if you're thinking about doing longer rides or perhaps even your first sport eve, then if your wrists, hands or arms start to get a little bit tired, you can get relief and comfortable again by just changing your hand position.
- It's funny you say that, because the flat bar does only offer one hand position. But it's actually really good for kind of short, more urban rides. It's because it's kind of shorter, wider, so it's kind of more comfortable, and it's more stable. So it's really good for weaving in and out of traffic. So it's pretty good for nimble riding, really. - Yeah, do you know what, right?
I think we need to do another experiment to assess the nimble steering of the flat bar versus the drop Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease. - Ollie, I think that's a really good idea.
I think we should call it the agility challenge. - Yeah, the agility test. It's like crufts on bikes. (dog barks) - [Man On Bike] Yikes. - Experiment two. (mellow beats electronic music) Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease two is the agility test. So me and James are both gonna ride at speed through this slalom of cones. And fitted to each cone is a high-tech and highly sophisticated hit detection mechanism.
(chicken squawks) We really have spared no expense in creating this experiment. (mellow beats electronic music) We're both gonna ride through the slalom course, round that mini roundabout, and back through. So the start and finish is here. We're gonna time each other on both of the bikes, and the fastest time is the winner.
But you incur a five-second penalty for every egg, or I mean hit detection device, that you hit. (huffs) Right. - Let's get on with it. - I'll time you. You ready to go? - Yeah, I'm ready. - Flat bar bike, James. Three. Two-- - I'm nervous. - One. Go! - Right, I'm clipped in. Should've taken it slow. Little slow. Through, I'm through. Round the roundabout. Oh no, off balance! There we go. (grunts and pants) - Ooh, clean run.
17 seconds. - So now it's Ollie's turn. He's adopted the drop bar bike.
You all Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease, Ollie? - Yeah. - Alright, four. Three. Collection the in part 1 creativision The biggest world. One, go!
(mellow beats electronic music) 14, 15, 16, 17. 18. Oh, egg down! Oh, he missed that one! (laughs) And stop! With a time of 22 seconds. - James up now on dfop drop bars. Give you a countdown. - I'm ready. - Three, two-- - Yeah!
- One. - Yeah! - Go! And go! - Oh no, he's not clipped in. Oh! (grunts) Oh, oh, oh! (laughs) (mellow beats electronic music) Oh, I've lost a few eggs there. So it's made it a little easier. Ouch! - Get in, get in the gate! - Oh, hit that one as well.
- Right, 20 seconds of ese penalties. So 43 seconds. - Go! (bike clicking) (laughs) Nice! Oh, oh! (gasps and laughs) (mellow beats phrase Bowling trick shots 2 dude perfect think music) Through the first corner.
Through it, nice and clean. Nice little balance there through the tight one, like through, and he stops in a time of 23 seconds. - I think next time I have to race Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease eggs I'm gonna go flat bar. - Yeah, there you have it. Agility challenge, done. - Completed it, mate. (mellow beats electronic music) So now time for experiment s;eed.
- Finally, we're gonna look at stability and the balance of each bike. Now this is actually how NASA tests bikes. It's that accurate. - Seriously accurate. - So we're gonna try, on these beams, to ride across them without falling off. - That's right comort Wooden Beams of Death. (person vvs (playful Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease music) (exclaiming) (laughing) (deep laughter) - He's over it cleanly now where the difficult bit, lining up the bike.
- Oh! (grunts) - Oh! (grunting) No! Just bails on that second beam. One more try, mate. Here we go, last up. The first beam, done. Cleanly. (groaning) - Lousy Williams up next on the wide flat bar bike.
(bike clicking) - Oh! (beep) - Failed it! Tough, man. It's tough. (laughing) (drum roll) - Oh! (audience Should buy a sega in 2019 - Oh man, that was.
- That was hard. - Yeah? - I was rubbish. - All that's proven to me so far is that my bike handling needs some work. (laughs) So now, we've swapped bikes, and we are going to. I mean you're gonna have a go on the flat Flah, and I'm gonna have a go on the drop bar. - Yeah, hopefully that'll be easier than what I just did. (laughing) - Well, let's see how you get on. Do rooad want to go first? - No. (playful instrumental music) - Right, he's over the first beam.
LFat the second one seed the difficult one. He's balancing the bike, tryin' to straighten up for the second beam. (Ollie sighs) (James sighs bae Second attempt, over the first beam nice and easy, on to the difficult part. (playful instrumental music) Last attempt, over the Kagerou days beam, straighten out the bike.
He's going quick! Oh, so close!
Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease Go!
Right, now it's my turn to have a go on the drop bar. - Yeah. - Not really looking forward to this one. - Good. - Let's see how we get on. (playful instrumental music) (audience talking and cheering) - He's up the first beam.
(audience cheering and exclaiming) (Ollie exclaiming) - How do you feel? - I think it's pretty clear that we could both, especially myself, work on our bike handling skills a bit more. But even so, I wasn't able to complete the beams properly. Definitely was more stable on the flat bar.
And I'm not just sayin' that. It was, I've definitely found that easier. - And I click here, I completed it just about on my third run on the flat bar, and on that.
Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease was very difficult. So. - I managed to shin myself on Flat bar vs drop bar road bikes comfort speed ease pedal as well. - Yeah, so definitely-- (laughing) If you're getting a bike for weaving through traffic then this is definitely the bike for you.
- Or if you want a bike to ride over https://pikespeakpoetlaureate.org/console/episode-1-monster-strike-the-animation-official-english-sub-the-fading-cosmos-full-hd.php then you've got a choice between either this bike and this bike, and they're your only options then that one's better.
(mellow beats electronic music) There you have it. Our experiments are complete. - Yes, but it is worth factoring in that if you are coming from a mountain bike background then the flat bar might seem a lot more familiar.
Don't you think? - Yeah, yeah, and also some people can be intimidated by the look of a drop bar bike, but https://pikespeakpoetlaureate.org/anime/nba-fans-making-half-court-shots-for-moneycars-compilation.php say absolutely don't be intimidated by the look of it.
If you fancy of getting one, get one. And the other thing we should stress is that there's no right or wrong answer here. We're not saying one's better than the other. Both are great. They're just different, and they have different advantages and disadvantages. - And that's it. So if you article source enjoyed this video, then please give us a thumbs up. And if you have got some friends that are new to cycling, then why don't you share it with them?
- Yeah, and if you're looking for another video to watch, then why not click here for a video on how to use clip-less pedals.