- Can roadies ride mountain bikes? Well, Peter Sagan can, but arguably, he's a mountain biker, 'cause he won the Junior World Championship on a mountain bike first. Pauline Ferrand-Prevot, she's been road world champion, and mountain bike, and cyclo-cross, so she can ride anything.
But, can this roadie ride a mountain bike? It's not a great start.
Can roadies ride mountain bikes gmbn coaches global cycling network - Can roadies ride mountain bikes?
And what are the basic things you need to be able to do to call yourself a mountain biker? That's better. (chill hip-hop music) (gravel crunching) Boom, there you go! - I jumped in a few puddles. - Correct kit, and you're muddy, yeah. Does it feel good to be earthy? - I feel connected with Mother Earth.
- Closer to nature, yeah. - Yeah. - I mean, you look good, that bike looks familiar as well. - (chuckles) It's yours. - You're just missing the peak, and then you'd be sorted. You'd look like a mountain biker. - Yeah, I went through Blake's drawers and managed to get myself a pair of his shorts.
Also, his gloves, and yeah, I'm missing the peak, so sorry 'about that. - Right, you ready? You actually got to ride to be a mountain biker-- - Ah, well I'm fine with that.
I did seven years as a professional road rider. - That's cycling, that's not riding bikes. Come on, watch this. - Ah. - Hank, have you heard of a bunny hop? - Yeah, I can bunny hop over potholes. - Bunny hop, yeah. - Curbs.
- So I guess cyclo-cross riders can do this, - Yeah. - But, it's a mountain biker's trick. - Okay. - [Neil] Now see if you can do it. (Neil Can roadies ride mountain bikes gmbn coaches global cycling network - Happy with that? - Well, you got off the floor. (Hank laughs) - [Hank] Oh, so you kind of coast, so (groans). (Hank cackles) (Neil laughs) - Yeah, I know, but I know roadies lose their (beep) when Peter Sagan does a six-inch Sega genesis with hdmi hop every year over a curb, but actually, it's a mountain biker's trick.
And Peter Sagan isn't impressive. - Oh my gosh! - Now, it's an essential one, this, to be a mountain biker, not just a cyclist. It's all about using your body weight, and it starts with a manual, so can you do a manual? (Hank chuckles) Right, this may be difficult. You've got to, right, come down and back, so your heel's down, your bum's right by the back wheel, and that should lift the front wheel without using your arms, and then from there, you stand up and forward.
So actually, a bunny hop is two movements. It's a front wheel and then Can roadies ride mountain bikes gmbn coaches global cycling network a back wheel. It's not one of them. - That's what I've been doing wrong. - A big spud hop. I mean, you can use that, but it's not as useful on the trail as a proper bunny hop, 'cause we're going to try jumps soon, so you need to be able to do a bunny hop so you jump properly.
- Okay, there it goes. (grunts) (laughs) It's hard, man. - That was it. And then you need to stand up and forward. (bell dings) That's it! No. - I'm using my arms, now. - So, do it in slow-mo. Ride long, stand tall, down and back, and stand up. - (grunts) Can roadies ride mountain bikes gmbn coaches global cycling network thinking about it now, too much. - Yeah. - [Hank] Right, you ready? - [Neil] Almost. (Hank grunts) - Gettin' there. - That's it. (bell dings) (bell dings) - I'm getting there.
(Hank grunts) - [Neil] All about hips, hips down toward the saddle and back. Yeah, and then towards the bar. - [Hank] Yeah.
(grunts) Shinned myself. - [Neil] (laughs) Oh. Yeah. (bell dings) That was it, that little pop you got, so the front wheel lift, the manual, basically, you should end up like that. Can roadies ride mountain bikes gmbn coaches global cycling network Yeah. - Really low to your back tire, and then you've got somewhere to go. And once you're nice and low to your back tire, you just need to stand up. - [Hank] And then it's just putting it together. - [Neil] Yeah, so you stand up quicker. - It's putting it together without the front wheel coming down.
(bell dings) - Yeah, that's it. (bell dings) That's it. - Aww! (horn honks) (Neil grunts) Pit two! Am I a mountain biker yet? (buzzer buzzes) Am I a mountain biker yet? (Hank grunts) (Hank cackles) I know they're only about half a foot tall, but (grunts).
(bell dings) - Oh, not bad, but Hank, I'm afraid we're runnin' out of light. We're going to have to go to a jump. (Hank laughs) (Hank pants) - Fast track. (bell dings) - [Neil] Oh, god. - Neil, what'd you make of that? - Oh, I definitely think you scored some mountain biker points there. - Yeah?
- Not bad, I'd say. I would say it's not about watts here. Slow it down. - Okay. - Just try and chill a bit and actually use the jumps to give you height. - So use my bunny Can roadies ride mountain bikes gmbn coaches global cycling network, really. - Yeah, bit of a hop, it's just a little bit of a push in to take off, just to get your height, not relying on all that, those pedals and speed to do it.
- One thing I really want to know, am I better than Si? - I've not seen Si jump that much. I know he did with Blake, but I don't know, but-- - Bit of potential. - Good to have a jump-off between you Can roadies ride mountain bikes gmbn coaches global cycling network Si, wouldn't it? - (laughs) It would, yeah. - Might be a bit dangerous. - Right, so what can I take into this next run? - Less speed, relax, think about pop.
- Okay, (sighs) let's give it another go. Mountain bike points, here I come. (bell dings) Oh. That wasn't bad. He makes it really easy to look like he's shredded. Is that how you use the word shredding? How many points? - I think you're racking up (bell dings) some points here, it's good. You just got to-- - I'm feeling the jump more.
- Yeah, I see it, you go with the flow and it'll let the jump send you rather than have to push and pull in to it. 'Cause sometimes when the air pull a take off, you see you go a bit wonky.
- Yeah. - It's all about being straight above the bike. - That's so true 'cause it kind of sends your balance and your networkk off. - It's nice, I think we should do some cornering before we get any broken collar bones. - Am I rad, yeah? (buzzer buzzes) Okay. Now if I'm going to call myself a mountain biker, I've got to get my head round berms.
I mean, I've seen them. Neil! Bloody hell, Neil! (chill hip-hop music) (bell dings) (brakes screeching) - He went flying see more there.
(bell coaces I mean, I guess that's the one thing about riding a see more bike, you will globbal used to going fast on corners.
Absolutely bombing round there. - You reckon? - I guess you must be used to link fast.
- I love cornering. - That was good. - But I can't Can roadies ride mountain bikes gmbn coaches global cycling network I've omuntain it on a vertical, except on a velodrome, of course. - True, that's a berm, not a velodrome.
But, same sort of thing, I guess. - It's similar, it's a gbmn degree angle. omuntain So one Caan I see some roadies do is hang off the inside of the bike. Which is good for starting a corner, sometimes you go really fast, you need to get your knee more info maybe to get your Model rocket battle 2 dude perfect inside, to get Can roadies ride mountain bikes gmbn coaches global cycling network bike cornering.
But then one of the biggest differences with a mountain bike is then you try and stay to the outside of the bike. So actually, you angle the bike over and your hips come to the outside a bit. So, I'll try that. - Okay. - Might even help on the road bike. - Thanks, mate. The link skills the better. (buzzer buzzing) 'Cause then I'll be shredding.
(chill hip-hop music) (gravel crunching) more info dings) Neil, I'm foadies feeling a lot, lot, like a mountain biker. But the only one thing that I'm really struggling with is your lingo. Like, what on earth are you saying when you're saying that I'm shredding?
- Ah, it just means riding bikex, riding good. - Ah, I like the sound of that. Gnarly? - Big, dangerous, cool. - Case? - I've seen a few of those. That's when you come up short on a jump. - Ah, now what about https://pikespeakpoetlaureate.org/anime/lil-dicky-earth-official-music-video.php - Squash, that's when you go low over a jump and go fast.
- Okay, last one, travel. - Travel's how much suspension travel you've got. - Ah. - It's easy! - Yeah, it's easy for you. Thank you so much, chap, mate, Can roadies ride mountain bikes gmbn coaches global cycling network been amazing.
- No worries, dude. - Thanks, mate.
Can roadies ride mountain bikes gmbn coaches global cycling network Mountain bike points, here I come.
I'll see you on the flip side. (laughs) If you guys have enjoyed the video as much as I have, thank you so much for having me on the channel, absolutely loved it, then make sure you give this video a big thumbs up.
And if you want another video to watch where I'm on a bike that I see more very mountian, compared to this one, then check out this video which is just down there.
I think I've lost Neil now. Here we go, Neil! Wait for me, mate! Trap, do! (buzzer buzzes) (Hank yelps)