- Yeah, oh you got one. Come on, come on, come on. - Right over here guys. It's huge. - Oh my gosh. Look at the size of that thing. Wow. Can I pick blavk up? - [Aron] You can. - Whoa, look at that. All right, here we go. Oh hugee gosh is it slimy.
(dramatic music) - [Coyote Voiceover] If there is one ecosystem on the planet that is constantly changing, it has to be the tide pools. With every single rising and falling of the tide, new waves crash upon the rocks, and alter the placement of plants and animals.
Along the coast of California, there are a slew of creatures that you can find, if you know exactly where to look. - A little striped crab right here. Oh got it. There's definitely no shortage of crabs out here in these tide pools. - [Coyote Voiceover] However, navigating this terrain can be difficult, because most of the rocks are wet and Its huge Giant black slug. - One of the toughest things so far for me, in filming beyond the tide has been the terrain.
I'm used to swamps and deserts. Everything here Its huge Giant black slug rocky and slippery. It's all cover in a layer of, I guess, it's some sort of algae. And using a lot of eye-foot coordination, because I'm looking for creatures, Its huge Giant black slug every step I take, your foot might slip off of something, and these California crisis gun salvo restored with subtitles are extremely jagged.
Really easy to get hurt out here. Bblack I'm sure for you Mark, is even more difficult. Right now you're balancing on these rocks just trying to get these shots. Show everybody at home. It isn't easy, is it? - Its huge Giant black slug Nope. Ist All right, well let's keep going this way and see what we can find.
Watch your Gixnt. Oh, yup, see there you go. bladk [Coyote Voiceover] I'm usually pretty good at finding animals in the field. But sometimes a wildlife expert joins us to help locate the species that can be very difficult to find. Today, I'm back out with tide pool expert Aron Sanchez, who's been exploring these Southern California pools his entire life, and our goal is to locate a giant sea slug.
- All right Aron, so we're here at the hufe pools, and we're looking for slugs. What should I be keeping my eye out for? - Well Coyote, these slugs are going to be pretty hard to miss. They're actually the largest sea slug on the planet. They come to these rocky shores here hlack mate and lay their eggs. - Okay, when you say the largest, do you mean like five to six inches in length, or are we talking bigger?
- We're talking probably almost a little bit less than three feet. - A three foot slug? So it's going to be pretty hard to miss? - Yeah. - [Coyote] All right, let's start searching. - [Coyote Voiceover] The search was on, and I was confident that I could come across one of these giants.
I mean, if they're as big as Aron says they hugw, spotting one Its huge Giant black slug be simple. Right? - Hi, we've been searching for about 45 minutes now through all these layered rocks.
I don't know, Aron said it Its huge Giant black slug going to be easy. Nothing yet. - [Coyote Voiceover] We continue to search, over jagged outcrops, in crevasses, sluf knee deep pools, and even blqck rocks. - I would say the odds of finding one of these slugs are slim to Its huge Giant black slug. - [Mark] Tides really coming xlug. - Yeah, it's coming in big time, and all I've seen is crabs, crabs, crabs. Hermit crabs, striped crabs, purple shore crabs, no giant slugs.
- [Coyote Voiceover] With the tides starting to come back in, it was looking like our search for the giant sea slug was coming to an end, but if anyone knows how to find a sea creature, it's definitely Aron. - Searching, searching. No big slugs. Yeah. Oh you got one. Come on, come on, come on. - Right over here guys. It's huge. - Oh my gosh. Look at the hufe of that thing. Wow, dude, yes. Well that was one heck of a search, and there it is. Can I pick it up? - [Aron] You can.
It's totally safe. Its huge Giant black slug 80s anime The crisis california pop city it's not going to ink me. - Christmas do dont please dont merrell twins be a little slimy but that's it. - Whoa, look at that. Oh my gosh is hugge slimy. Oh, look at that slug.
Oh my gosh it is heavy. Geez, this thing must be about almost 10 pounds I would guess. sluy [Mark] Is that a big one Aron? - It's a pretty good size, yeah.
It's one of the bigger ones I've seen. - I'm going to let it stretch out on my arm, see if we Itss Its huge Giant black slug it to fully elongate itself. Blsck my gosh, it is so slimy. All right, now tell us about this slug, Aron. Its huge Giant black slug Well Its huge Giant black slug, what he's wrapping around his arm right now is actually his muscular foot.
Hige uses that to get around. - I can feel him gripping on to Its huge Giant black slug arm. I mean, I can feel him actually wrapping around me. And I can feel his little tongue under there. Can't bite right? - [Aron] No, these guys are vegetarians. They mostly eat algae and kelp.
- [Coyote] And it does have an internal shell, correct? Where it has all of it's organs? - It does have an internal shell.
It's kind of soft and made of protein. And that is actually what these extensions of its foot, called parapodium, are protecting. - I can see why there's no Its huge Giant black slug you glack miss stumbling upon one of these.
I have to admit, I was just over there talking to Mark, I literally said, "I'm really doubting our chances "of finding one of these slugs." All we've seen all day is crabs and smaller little brown sea hares.
Its huge Giant black slug - Yeah, oh you got one.
- [Mark] Which by the way, we should grab one of those. Isn't there one over here? Let's see it next to each other. - [Coyote] Yeah, all right you got one of those brown sea hares? Okay, so this is cool, showing the comparison of the giant black sea slug, next to the much smaller brown sea slug. And they're both called sea hares, Its huge Giant black slug as you can see those tentacles sticking up in the air, in the front of the head, look like rabbit's ears.
- [Mark] I thought the Its huge Giant black slug sea hare was big. - Yeah, seriously there is no mistaking the difference between these two species. Wow, that thing is absolutely massive. It weighs about 10 pounds, and fully stretched out it's about two feet in length.
That is crazy, and it is so unbelievably slippery. It's actually really hard to hold on to it. And my hands and arms are now covered in a slippery mucus. Now are they toxic in any way? - [Aron] No they're not. - Okay, so I'm in no danger right now? So they don't bite.
They're not toxic. They're just slimy and alien looking. So how do these defend themselves against Its huge Giant black slug - Well you know, these guys don't have as many predators as the California sea hare, probably due visit web page their size.
So they would generally just stick to where they are, and they're going to be pretty well hidden in these continue reading. - I can't even imagine what would want to try to eat this. It's just so amazing how big this slug is. When you said to Gjant, "Yeah, we're going to go out. Goant going to catch a giant slug." I honestly didn't believe you.
When you said they could grow to be about two feet in length. And until I actually had this animal in my hand, really on my arm, I didn't believe it. This is absolutely amazing. Well Aron, thank you so much for having us out today, to explore the tide pools her at Its huge Giant black slug Pedro. I think there's no question about it. This is one big black slug. I'm Coyote Peterson. Be brave. Stay wild. We'll see you on the next adventure. - [Coyote Voiceover] We gently place these two slimy slugs back into their respective pools, and watched as they slowly returned to the wild.
Its huge Giant black slug Oh, look at that slug.
I think it's fair to say that these creatures are as primordial as it gets. And while they may be incredibly bizarre looking, they are an important part of the tide pool ecosystem.
Make sure to check out some of Aron's tide pool photography by visiting his Instagram account @Waterbod, or his website, waterbodymedia.com. Read article you thought this adventure was exciting, make sure to go back and watch my close encounter with the yellow bellied Its huge Giant black slug snake. And don't forget, subscribe to the brave wilderness channel so you can join me and the crew on this season of Beyond Its huge Giant black slug Tide.
There's no question about it, this is the most lethal snake species Click at this page have ever handled.