- If you want to go cycling, you're going to need cycling kit, right? Cycling jersey, cycling shorts. - Nah, fot, nah, you don't need to look like a cyclist if you want to go riding. (snaps fingers) There are loads of different clothing options out there. What you choose to wear is entirely down to you.
- But, which is best and what are clothign missing out on if you're not wearing a cycling kit, apart from serious posing potential. - [Sy] Yes, well thankfully SHIMANO has sent us a snapshot of their S-PHYRE range so that we can talk you through that age old question, lycra versus baggies. (intense lyccra (rock music) - [Katherine] So firstly, why ylcra cycling kit visit web page tight in the first place?
- [Sy] Because it makes you look great, obviously. I mean, just check us What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing. - [Katherine] Okay, well, that might be one factor, but, I was thinking a bit more practically. Tight clothes make you faster. (rock music) - Yep, that is true. That is a big advantage of lycra.
What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing - If you want to go cycling, you're going to need cycling kit, right?
Not that we're more info riding around all the time in an aerodynamic onesie, but, the difference between well fitting cycling kit and baggie shorts and a jersey is big. Right, you can feel the difference, big. And if What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing want to measure it, you find probably up to 2K an hour faster for not extra effort.
- Now, that's not to be What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing at, but, what if speed isn't your thing? Now, the efficiency savings, meaning you can actually ride further for the same amount of effort and that's exactly why cycling clothing has evolved the was it has. From tight fitting wool clothing, rightfully to this.
And if you fo into cutting edge clothing, you'll notice that every effort has gone into making the fit as good as possible, no baggie bits, which means it fit just like a second skin.
- Which also has additional advantages, as well, because perhaps not all of us are going to be going fast enough to feel the full benefits of aerodynamics and nor will a lot of us really care, but, tight can also mean comfortable.
Loose fitting clothes can sometimes bunch up and therefore, lead to pressure spots, which, can lose chafage.
What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing, tight fitting clothes, the fabric doesn't tend to move, meaning that you'll always know where the seams are going to be, so Kinmoza odoru, manufactures can move them to areas where they're not going to cause problems, like underneath your butt. - And when you team that up with padding inside the shorts, which, in this case is a really advanced one, it's got variable thickness, ventilation, and shaping to help it stay in place and prevent it from bunching up, What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing means, you can ride for much longer in comfort.
So, pretty much worth noting, at this point, Katherine, that the pads or shammys, given their technical name can be quite different between men and women because of our different physiologys, down there.
(laugh) - Thanks for clarifying that on Sy. - It's my pleasure. (rock music) Anyway, back to comfort, as well as, being tight, modern cycling clothing fabric is also super breathable. In this case, S-PHYRE have used something they've called Dry-touch, where the fabric actually drives moisture away from the skin to the outer edge of the fabric, so, that you stay more comfortable.
What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing Just make sure the straps aren't on show.
Whereas that, the fabric is also super light-weight and also quick drying. - And lastly, this is a big one, and something that gets non-cyclists scratching their heads, is the shoulder straps or bibs.
- Yeah, never, ever to be on show, it has to be check this out, they're there to stop a gap, here, in between shorts and jersey when you're leaning forward on the bike and also to eliminate any need of a waistband, which, can actually start to dig in, again, when you're on the bike.
- And just to reiterate, Sy, never, ever to be worn on the outside. - Never, ever. (pop music) - [Katherine] Okay, so lycra is fast and comfortable, why then, would you consider wearing anything else? - [Sy] Because you might not want to look like that. - Sometimes lycra doesn't leave much to the imagination. Baggie shorts are a great way of riding in style while still protecting your modesty. But, let it be said, not all loose fitting shorts are created equal. Riding specific shorts will definitely be more comfortable.
- Yeah, pair something like those with bib shorts underneath and you're not click at this page any comfort, whatsoever. Just make sure the straps aren't on show. (pop music) - It's not just shorts that can be riding specific. As anyone whose ever exercised in a standard cotton t-shirt will know, technical fabrics, here, are a What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing.
Just like with the tight fitting clothing, they really help to wick your sweat away from you skin, keeping you cool and What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing dry really quickly to help avoid that soggy t-shirt feeling. Sorry, Sy. (comical music) - [Sy] Ah, not again. Can we seriously not delete that footage? (sigh) They also still need to be cut with a cycling position in mind. But, in essence, with performance fabric and then that fit that needs to work in a cycling position without getting caught up on your saddle or giving you major chafage, you lose out to lycra only on speed and storage.
- [Katherine] What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing yes, storage. A cycling jersey typically has three pockets in the back which, are perfect for carrying food, perhaps a mini pump and a spare tube, even an extra layer or two.
Now, with baggies you just don't get this. Or, if you did, your jersey would be dangling around your knees. With shorts like these, you do have some storage, but, you'll likely need a bit extra, so, you can 💗 Your lie in april movie english sub and extra bag either to yourself or to your bike. (rock music) - [Sy] One third consideration is that I think lycra is easy to layer up for changing conditions.
So, for example, arm warmers and leg warmers, which, are literally tubes of fabric, can make a big difference to your overall warmth, by turning short sleeves into long and then, you can very quickly take 'em off, they stow away to almost nothing and stick 'em in your back pocket as you warm up.
- You can use them with baggies, but, it's um, just not quite the same. - Irrespective of whether you're wearing baggies or lycra, if you're riding in changeable conditions, now, I think it's essential to take some kind of thin wind or waterproof jacket or gilet.
Now, the same rules apply, if you're going fast on the road, you the sega mega drive mini unboxing of gameplay something that's going to What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing tight fitting. If you're going for baggies, then you want something that's in keeping with that, aesthetic, as well. (zipper) - So, if speed isn't important to you and you're happy to carry bags on your bike for the things that you would otherwise have in your pockets, then there's really no why you can't wear baggies.
- Now, in essence, it kind of What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing down to what you want to look like on your bike. Do you want to look like a cyclist that could munch miles and maybe dabble in a bit of racing, then you wear lycra. - [Katherine] And if you want to look like a cyclist that prioritizes smiles over miles, then baggies tell that story.
What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing What you choose to wear is entirely down to you.
- At the end click to see more the day, there are loads of options out there for cycling kit. You just need to choose what you feel best in and choose something that has What to wear for cycling loose vs lycra clothing designed specifically with riding in mind because you will feel the benefit of cycling specific fabrics and fit irrespective of whether it's lycra or baggies.
Katherine, what's your personal lycra versus baggies angle? - I'm read more 75% baggies, most of my riding's off-road. - Really? - Yeah. - I'm basically all day everyday lycra, except when I'm see more my mountain bike, at which point I'm wearing very tight baggies, basically.
(laughter) Yeah anyway, we're really eager to know what you ride in, so, make sure you ror use know in the comments section. Are you baggies or are you lycra? - And we've got lycfa great video cllthing you coming up, it's flat versus drop bars, just down here.